[kde-doc-english]hitting the limits of kioslave documentation II

Frederik Fouvry fouvry at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE
Fri Feb 14 17:21:34 CET 2003

,-- On Fri, 14 Feb, Leo Savernik wrote:

| Am Freitag, 14. Februar 2003 12:46 schrieb Lauri Watts:
| > On Friday 14 February 2003 12.26, Frederik Fouvry wrote:
| > > If my previous assumptions are true, you get a bad result because
| > > <article> is used as a hack.  ;-) The solutions seems to be to
| >
| > Absolutely right.  We needed something translateable that could be rendered
| > into HTML.  The choices were put all the content as i18n() calls right into
| > the source (not terribly manageable for writers), some kind of HTML (not
| > very translateable in the KDE system) or a docbook hack that would let us
| > at least use the existing translation tools.  It worked ok for the purpose,
| > but it's definitely a hack.  Now that the docbooks are (ok, will soon be)
| > available in KHelpCenter, we could redo them as proper documents inline
| > with the rest of KDE's manuals, but for a hack, it's a fairly useful one.
| >
| I'm all up for doing it right in the first place. I think that there's not as
| much to document for a kioslave as for a full blown kde application, so
| <book> seems overkill. How about "fixing" article to provide a single-paged
| document? See my proposal under
| http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-doc-english&m=104522557730317&w=2

Unfortunately, changes in the style sheets are not always
obvious, and fairly hard to maintain if you're not on top of it
(and we are not, I dare say).  In fact, we should update the
version of the stylesheets we're using, but no one has dared
doing that (among others because the internal organisation
changed, and probably all customisations will need to be redone).

Maybe you're right in what you ask, I cannot judge it.  But I
don't have the time to work on it, even though I'd like to.

Cheers,

Frederik