[kde-doc-english]hitting the limits of kioslave documentation II

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Fri Feb 14 12:17:20 CET 2003

On Thursday 13 February 2003 19.20, Leo Savernik wrote:

> I copied the man-template.docbook and preliminarily changed some data in it
> to see if it worked -- and it indeed worked, it was exactly the format I
> want this document to have. However, <refentry> doesn't allow
> <bibliography>, so I wanted to be smart and wrapped the whole doc in an
> <article> element and inserted the bibliography after </refentry>.

That's because man-template is not intended for use generating HTML, it's
intended to be used with a quite different xslt stylesheet to generate *roff
man pages :)

If you want to write a user manual, use the user manual template in
template.docbook.  You can include refentries in such a document, the
template indeed does so as an example.  This is *not* going to be usable
within kinfocenter however, and that's because it's not what kinfocenter is
intended to display.

If you want to write a one page short overview suitable for use in
kinfocenter, base it on an article, use no nested hierarchy.

There's absolutely no reason you can't do both, it is absolutely not a problem
if your application has two documents, because there are two intended uses
and two intended audiences.  Kinfocenter for those who just want a quick
overview of what a kioslave might offer, in the context of a long list of the
slaves they have installed, and KHelpCenter for those who want an in depth
user manual.

> Well, I was outsmarted. The resulting document still works, but it doesn't
> fit into one single page anymore. It's three pages instead whose first page
> is blank (dunno why), the second contains the <refentry> and the third the
> <bibliography> element.

Writing for a particular rendering in HTML is doomed to failure, because
DocBook is semantic markup, not presentational the way .  Write for content,
mark things up with what they *are* not based on how they render in HTML, and
using the appropriate templates.    We could change tomorrow where the
pagebreaks are in a document for example, and it wouldn't have the slightest
effect on your actual content.  Once you get past the idea that the
presentation is out of your hands,

> Is there any possibility to suppress the page breaks in an <article>? If
> not, I'll throw the bibliography away and stick to a document using
> <refentry> as root.

Just use the proper template - the user manual, template.docbook, if it's a
user manual you are writing.

> The attachment contains the offending docbook. It mostly consists of the
> default blurb and the bibliography entry.

With our KDE stylestheets, it's going to be chunked into one page per major
section no matter what you do, when using refentries and a bibliography.

I'll have a look at the work you've committed over the weekend.  The reason
help:/dataprotocol isn't working, is probably that you need to install a
.desktop file with a DocPath entry for that to happen.

Lauri Watts
KDE on FreeBSD: http://freebsd.kde.org/