[kde-doc-english] KDE Janitors (QA?) Proposal

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Dec 20 14:38:43 CET 2003

On Sat December 20 2003 12:36, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> On the other hand, there are a few issues with the proposal that need
> clarification, or discussion:
>
> 1. Are there enough people who have the necessary skills to perform tasks
> like this? You suggest programming, bug management, documentation, UI,
> artwork and communication as tasks which would be overseen by the Janitors.
> This is a very wide range of skills :-)
>
> 2. Would the aims of coordination between different teams be more easily
> achieved by formalising (slightly) the role of application maintainer? Or,
> to put the point in a slightly different way, would the Janitors just end
> up being the current application maintainers, since they already know the
> application? If this happens, (as seems likely?), then it will go against
> the idea of involving new people.

I think the most important skill a Janitor must have is communications skills.
You can know a lot about an application without needing to know how to write
code, you can do a lot of bug management without needing to know how to debug
the actual problem, you can make useful suggestions for icons without
actually being able to draw.

KDE is a very large project, as a developer it is impossible to be subscribed
and follow all mailinglists. A janitor can play an important role here by
shielding developers, bug fixers and artists from a lot of the noise on many
of the mailinglists and feeding these people the useful bits of information.

specific application could be easily answered by the janitor for that
application. When it becomes clear that an application has a bug or an
important missing feature, the janitor can then file a bugreport on
bugs.kde.org and raise its priority. The developer could pay extra extension
to such bugreports because (s)he knows that it is a real issue and that the
janitor has already made sure that all relevant information is available.

Ideally, a Janitor would be in an excellent position to write documentation
for the application or, lacking writing skills, assist a documentation
writer. A Janitor would also be in a great position to maintain a FAQ.

The focus on a single application is crucial here, because maintaining a FAQ
for all of KDE does not seem to work very well, probably because it is just
too much work. By limiting the focus on a single application, chances of
success become much greater.

A critical success factor for this all is the ability of the Janitor to work
together with the maintainer/developers of the application, as already
mentioned in the paper by Carlos, the Janitor must be able to make the work
of the developers/doc-writers/debuggers/artists more pleasant, otherwise it
will not work.

Another critical success factor might be the name ;-) People might not be
lining up to become "Janitor" :-)

I think the suggestion to start with a pilot is very good. We can talk about
this stuff for ages but without any real experiences most of it will just be
speculation.

Cheers,
Waldo
- --