[kde-doc-english]Re: entities

Pam R pamroberts at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 4 13:47:50 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 9:49 am, Frederik Fouvry wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A reminder about the usage of the user.entities files for
> documentation translators:
>
> There is no absolutely no need to keep an *English* entity ,
> e.g. &LMB;, in the translated documentation text!  An "English entity"
> is one that is defined in kdoctools/customization/en/user.entities (or
> whereever it is installed).  IMHO it is `translational madness' to
> want to reuse English entities blindly in a translated text - even
> though it may be very tempting (well, in some languages, you're not
> tempted at all ;-).  &LMB; etc. were defined in en/user.entities for
> _some_ reason, viz. to make clear that it is specific to English, and
> other languages may not want them (or more likely they may not be able
> to use them).

In fact I was about to suggest that an entity for <keysym>Enter</keysym> be
added to customization/en/user.entities, thinking that the &Alt;, &Ctrl;,
&Esc; and &Shift; entities were a help in translation so that adding &Enter;
(for the key not the verb) would also be useful. But as you point out it
might present problems for the translators?

BTW, are we in an entity freeze period now?
--
Pam R: Don't put off until tomorrow what you can leave to the day after.