[kde-doc-english]<action>Questions</action>

Pam R pamroberts at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 14 18:21:00 CEST 2002

I've been wondering about the use and application of the <action> tag.
According to template.docbook, it is only used in the Command Reference
section, where the examples show it surrounding a short description of the
command, for example the entry in template.docbook for File->Quit is;

Now this example is especially terse and doesn't convey any information that
can't be gained by just reading the menu item name, so in practice the
docbook writer is tempted to put some flesh onto it by making it something
like <action>Close down this instance of &konqueror;</action>

Some menu items deserve an even fuller description in the Command Reference
section, particularly where there is no obvious place to add it in the main
body of the document, and in these cases the author may wish to use more than
sections have <action></action> embedded?

On the other hand, there is often the case where a link to a fuller
description of the menu item's function would be appropriate, but it seems
that meinproc objects when you try to include <link>..</link> within an
<action> section, (even though V1.0.3 of 'Docbook: The Definitive Guide' says
that you can do this).

I suppose that what I am asking is for a precise definition of why and where
the <action> tag should be used in KDE documentation, or maybe I am asking if
there are any advantages to using it at all?.

Please excuse me for not posting this to the docbook list, which might have
been more appropriate, but I am  not subscribed to it.

Pam