[kde-doc-english]Re: Folder/Directory

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Fri May 10 09:28:39 CEST 2002

Am Donnerstag, 9. Mai 2002 23:56 schrieb Michel Loos:

> User perception is based on the terms we use, it should not be the
> opposite, if the terms are well used the user will get a better
> understanding of his machine. And not search for the different files
> that compose the folder of spreadsheets he just edited.

I don't see any really widespread use of "folder" in any sense any more that
is really different from "directory" and which would let us run the risk of
mixing up two different meanings. But okay, maybe I'm just using the wrong
programs. So please forget it for now.

To me, the important thing is: This whole discussion does not belong here.
This is a i18n/l10n list and we don't have the means to effectively solve
most questions related to English wording, spelling and style. This clearly
is a subject for kde-doc-english where everybody interested in this
subjects is of course invited to subscribe.

One big problem so far is that we hardly ever hear anything from
kde-doc-english and discussions always end up here where they clearly do
not belong but where you will always find people interested in the subject
who will continue the thread no matter what. Another big problem will
probably arise sooner or later from the fact that the proof reading team
apparently started some of the changes already without ever talking to
developers and making their guidelines publicly accessible. This will only
lead to conflicts and make the whole thing a never-ending story. How do you
expect people to keep rules they never even heard of?

Like I repeatedly said: I would really appreciate it, if we could get a
priority list from the proof reading / doc writing teams what strings they
would like to change in the code and why and have this posted as an RFC to
the devel lists and as a web page. Developers (and we) need to know who is
doing what and what rules everybody is expected to keep and why. After
everybody had a chance to have their say create a final version from the
RFC which can be part of the KDE Style Guide and then just start working on
the strings.

If there is nobody among the native speakers willing (or has the time) to
take on that responsibility: okay, let's drop the whole thing again. But at
any rate, let us stop it here. It is off-topic for this list and will only
lead a lot of people to stop reading i18n-doc postings again and miss
important announcements that concern everybody.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/