[kde-doc-english]Folder/Directory

Éric Bischoff e.bischoff at noos.fr
Tue May 7 09:27:33 CEST 2002

Hi all,

Some translators asked me in private to submit the following suggestion, as
I'm subscribed to this list.

Could you in the English team decide once for all the "Folder/Directory"
question? It would make translation process easier and end up an
unterminating debate inside translation teams.

Option A: use "directory" for filesystem issues and "folder" for the GUI
description

Option B: use "folder" everywhere

Personnally, I don't care much about the retained solution, as long as it's
consistent. For example, in French we have two words as well.
"Dossier/Répertoire" are completly equivalent to the English ones, so we can
mimic whatever you will choose. For languages with just one word for both
concepts it's of course a no-issue.

If Option B ("folder" everywhere) is retained, then it would be nice to do
(read: "that Malcom does") a massive search&replace in applications and
documentation too to remove all remaining "directory"s.

Feel free to associate KDE developpers and other projects (Gnome, LDP) to this
debate if you feel like.

Reactions? Comments? Flames?