[kde-doc-english]Hyperlinks in Docs

Malcolm Hunter malcolm.hunter at gmx.co.uk
Sun Mar 3 22:14:12 CET 2002

On Sunday 03 Mar 2002 14:57, Lauri Watts wrote:
> On Sunday 03 March 2002 15.10, Daniel Naber wrote:
> > On Sunday 03 March 2002 10:45, Malcolm Hunter wrote:
> > > We have &kde-http; and &kde-ftp; - how about replacing all of the
> > > URLs with entities, so that it will be very easy to test dead links
> > > without searching all of the docs?
> >
> > Searching all the docs should be very easy, it just needs a simple
> > regular expression to look for links. So I don't see an advantage in
> > using entities.
>
> I think I have to agree.
>
> There must be thousands of links in the documents, and many of them are
> translated (for example, we link to some well-known "online etiquette"
> pages in english in the knode docu, and translators have asked
> previously that they can add or replace those to links that describe
> their own national hierarchy etiquette rules, or are simply in their
> own language.
>
> The entity list is already almost unmanageably big, and intimidating for
> most writers, I think this would tip it far over the edge.
>
> I do have an idea on link checking though.  When the docs online (which
> is quite soon) we can do some very simple automated link checking very
> easily, by running tools from the top of docs.kde.org and letting them
> traverse all the documents.  There's plenty of search bots and linkbots
> around that can do that, I'll see what can be done.

I guess I just showed my newbie status with regards to docs :¬). I'm a bit
dubious about search bots though. It's all right if the usual 404 is
detected, but what about if the site has been replaced or out of date? Sounds
like a project in itself - checking hyperlinks.

Regards,
Malcolm
--
KDE Proof Reading Team