[kde-doc-english]Printing glossary

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Wed Jun 26 16:49:32 CEST 2002

Hi,

I just got a mail from our German FAQ translator that he has to give up on
completing his work because of the extremely specialized stuff in the
printing glossary. Since PO translations have to be at 100% for the XML
conversion this basically means that we either lose _all_ the work being done
on FAQ translation or use an ugly workaround by copying the original strings
over to the translations, making it a mix of German and English strings.

After looking at the printing glossary myself I would strongly suggest to move
it out of the FAQ and keep it entirely separate. While I appreciate the
wealth of information it provides and I personally find its contents very
interesting (after all I'm in the printing business myself) it is certainly
not what I would call "Frequently Asked Questions" like the others (ie:
questions of ordinary users). See typical examples below.

Regards,

Thomas

+++++
Easy Software Products

Mike Sweet's company, which has contributed a few substantial
software products towards the Free Software community; amongst them
the initial version of <ulink url=\"http://gimp-print.sf.net/\">Gimp-
Print,</ulink> the <ulink url=\"http://www.easysw.com/epm/\">EPM
software packaging</ulink> tool and <ulink url=\"http://www.easysw.
com/htmldoc/\">HTMLDOC</ulink> (used by the \"Linux Documentation
Project\" to build the PDF versions of the HOWTOs) -- but most
importantly: <ulink url=\"http://www.cups.org/\">&CUPS;</ulink> (the
'Common &UNIX; Printing System'). ESP finance themselves by selling
a commercial version of &CUPS;, called <ulink url=\"http://www.
easysw.com/\">ESP PrintPro,</ulink> that includes some professional
enhancements.

++++++

Foomatic

Foomatic started out as the wrapper name for a set of different
tools available from <ulink url=\"http://www.linuxprinting.org/
\">Linuxprinting.org</ulink> These tools aimed to make the usage of
traditional Ghostscript and other print filters easier for users and
extend the filters' capabilities by adding more command line
switches or explain the driver's execution data. Foomatic's
different incarnations are &CUPS;-O-Matic, PPD-O-Matic, PDQ-O-Matic,
LPD-O-Matic, PPR-O-Matic, MF-O-Matic and Direct-O-Matic. All of
these allow the generation of appropriate printer configuration
files online, by simply selection the suitable model and suggested
(or alternate) driver for that machine. More recently, Foomatic
gravitated towards becoming a \"meta-spooling\" system, that allows
configuration of the underlying print subsystem through a unified
set of commands (however, this is much more complicated than
KDEPrint's &GUI; interface, which performs a similar task with
regards to different print subsystems).

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org
Deutsche KDE-Uebersetzung: http://i18n.kde.org/teams/de