[kde-doc-english]<OT> Translation differences

Pam R pamroberts at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 6 20:58:39 CEST 2002

On Thursday 06 June 2002 8:17 am, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 5. Juni 2002 20:15 schrieb Pam R:
> > I just came across this story, well worth a read if you are a
> > documentation editor or translator.
> >

> > http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,52901,00.html
>
> This was about what I meant when I said "we should not level out our
> cultural differences" (eg
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=101981377001422&w=2)
>
> OTOH, I think we _could_ agree on some basic style requirements and a
> consistent terminology (eg in the infamous folder <-> directory thing) and
> apply this to existing and upcoming KDE texts. Unfortunately, this is
> always only "considered" but nobody of the native speakers seems to be
> prepared to actually pick it up and _do_ it so far.

As someone who speaks native fairly fluently I'm willing to have a try at
doing this.

Looking around to see what has been done so far in this area I found that the
web page  http://i18n.kde.org/doc/content.html referred to in Thomas' post to
kde-i18n-doc (link above) has vanished, and the 'KDE Style Guide' link in
http://i18n.kde.org/doc/index-script.php
(http://i18n.kde.org/doc/style-guide/index.html) doesn't work either... and I
believe that Lauri has gone on holiday?

If anyone has copies of these 2 web pages or knows what urls they are hiding
at could they please let me know.

Pam