[kde-doc-english]Re: Brushes in KOffice?

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Thu Jul 25 10:27:37 CEST 2002

Am Donnerstag, 25. Juli 2002 09:49 schrieb Malcolm Hunter:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Friday 19 Jul 2002 11:04, you wrote:
> > Could you please have a look at the usage of the term "brush" in KOffice,
> > eg in KPresenter and Kontour? If I choose a fill for KPresenter object
> > I'm offered a "gradient fill" (which is okay) and a "brush" fill. There
> > are also all sorts of "brush settings" (apparently coming from #:
> > styledia.cc:259 etc.)
> >
> > IMO, this has absolutely nothing to do with the usual "brushes" in
> > graphics programs and is totally misleading. I think what is meant here
> > are "solid fills" or "uniform fills" as a counterpart to the gradients.
> >
> > Changing all this would of course mean a lot of new strings. But, to me,
> > this looks totally confusing and should at least be discussed in the
> > lists if I'm not missing something.
>
> I finally managed to get around to compiling KOffice so I could see the
> problem. In Control Center, "Flat" is used, when talking about the opposite
> to "Gradient". It's not "solid" if you use a pattern, and "uniform" would
> sound a bit odd.
>
> What do you think?

"Uniform" is the Corel (DRAW, PhotoPaint etc.) expression for this kind of
single color fills. (Maybe "single color" would be clearest anyway. Hardly any
translator will think of colors if (s)he sees the term "flat".) But I'm happy
to leave this to the native speakers.

I'm afraid time is running too short already to change it this time. (We only
have little more than 2 weeks to go.) But it would be great if it could be
corrected directly after the release.

Regards,

Thomas

--