[kde-doc-english]KOffice: GPL vs. LGPL

Frederik Fouvry fouvry at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE
Tue Dec 17 14:50:07 CET 2002

| > However, be very careful with this.  There are two distinctly worded
| > versions of this license in use, one with the L being Library, and the
| > other Lesser, and they have a different version number.  In other words,
| > it's not, unfortunately, going to be a complete search and replace, each
| > one will have to be checked (well, unless you already know that they're all
| > using the version that says Lesser.)
| >

| You're right - what KOffice seems to be using is the Library GPL, and to
| emphasise the point they are calling it 'LGPL V2'.
|
| The Lesser' license is >= V2.1 according to my reading of
| http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html
| "The GNU Lesser General Public License, or GNU LGPL for short.
| This is a free software license, but not a strong copyleft license, because it
| permits linking with non-free modules. It is compatible with the GNU GPL. We
| recommend it for special circumstances only.
| Between version 2 and 2.1, the GNU LGPL was renamed from the GNU Library
| General Public License to the GNU Lesser General Public License to better
| reflect its actual purpose. Namely, it is not just for libraries, and the GNU
| GPL is sometimes more appropriate for libraries. "
|
| Maybe we need 2 entities, 'underLGPLV2' and 'underLesserGPL' ?

I'd prefer only to add the Lesser GPL.  The Library GPL is
obsolete according to http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lgpl.html, but
of course I/we cannot stop authors from choosing any license they
want to use.  If required, I'll add the Library GPL as well.

Frederik