[kde-doc-english]KOffice: GPL vs. LGPL

Pam R pamroberts at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 16 17:43:16 CET 2002

On Monday 16 December 2002 16:11, Lauri Watts wrote:

> On Monday 16 December 2002 16:57, Pam R wrote:
> > So I'll simply replace the line
> > 	&underGPL;        	 <!-- GPL License -->
> > with
> > <para>This program is licensed under the terms of the <ulink
> > url="common/lgpl-license.html">GNU Lesser General Public
> > License</ulink>.</para>
> >
> > OK?
>
> Works for me, almost.  We can make a new lgpl entity and phase it in later.
>
> However, be very careful with this.  There are two distinctly worded
> versions of this license in use, one with the L being Library, and the
> other Lesser, and they have a different version number.  In other words,
> it's not, unfortunately, going to be a complete search and replace, each
> one will have to be checked (well, unless you already know that they're all
> using the version that says Lesser.)

You're right - what KOffice seems to be using is the Library GPL, and to
emphasise the point they are calling it 'LGPL V2'.

The Lesser' license is >= V2.1 according to my reading of
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html
"The GNU Lesser General Public License, or GNU LGPL for short.
This is a free software license, but not a strong copyleft license, because it
permits linking with non-free modules. It is compatible with the GNU GPL. We
recommend it for special circumstances only.
Between version 2 and 2.1, the GNU LGPL was renamed from the GNU Library
General Public License to the GNU Lesser General Public License to better
reflect its actual purpose. Namely, it is not just for libraries, and the GNU
GPL is sometimes more appropriate for libraries. "

Maybe we need 2 entities, 'underLGPLV2' and 'underLesserGPL' ?

Anyway, I'll check each app as I go through them.

Regards
--
Pam R: <Yet another cute tag line>
Linux StepbyStep: http://www.linux-sxs.org/stepbystep.html