[kde-doc-english]Formatting for translation credits in the documentation

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Thu Dec 5 16:03:32 CET 2002

I'd like to get going on the next few days with several things, including
converting to the new DTD (4.2), cleaning up the <*info> sections in the
documents, and fixing all the credits sections.  As we have for most of these
type of changes, I'll probably do this in a small module like kdetoys first,
so we can iron out if there are any problems, and once everyone is happy I'll
do the rest in one go.

There's just one final thing to settle: It's important that everyone is
credited for the work they do, and it's vastly easier to ensure such credit
is given when there is a standard format that is very easy to fill in, so
here's my suggestion.

For each entire document:
As it is now, all contributors are listed here, and in the credits & license
chapter (whether that's in the same file or not)

For each included separate file:

* For the top level element, the appropriate <*info> section, containing a
placeholder for the translator markup.  That is to say, if the file has a
<chapter> in it, then I will make a <chapterinfo> containing the usual
<!-- TRANS:ROLES_OF_TRANSLATORS -->.  If the file contains a <sect1>, then a
<sect1info> - the markup for these credits works the same.

* If the entire document is the work of one author:
Then according to the original authors choice an author section just like in
the index.docbook is optional.

*if the document has multiple authors:
An author section detailing which of the authors wrote the section at hand
should be added.

Since these <*info> elements all render nicely at the start of the page, the
same as on the front page, I personally think that adding a
<!-- TRANS:CREDIT_FOR_TRANSLATORS -->
 per file is overkill, and that should be kept for the list in the credits and
license chapter.

I base this on my presumption the translators use the credits and license
chapter in a similar manner to the way the authors and developers are listed
- - everyone who has contributed to the work will be listed there again anyway.

I should point out the license and credits chapter is mandatory, it has
important license information for both the application and the document
itself, along with the also very important credits, and it is itself already
more or less a standard format.

Regards,
- --
Lauri Watts