[kde-doc-english]checking thesaurus documentation

Philip Rodrigues phil.rod at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 30 23:17:17 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 6:37 pm, Daniel Naber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> could someone please proof-read (spelling, grammar and style) my KThesaurus
> documentation?

Hi,
Just took a look at the DocBook source, and a couple of small things. I should
emphasise that these are *really* fussy, and I wouldn't even have noticed
them if you hadn't asked for a proofreader :-):

line 55:
"Synonyms are supposed to be words with
the same meaning, but only with respect to a certain context. So you
cannot always replace a word with any synonym."

Perhaps this could be replaced by:
"Synonyms are words with a similar meaning. They do not necessarily apply to
all senses of each word, so you cannot always replace a word with any
synonym."

Line 59:
It's picky I know, but the etc. could be &etc;.

Line 66:
"&kthesaurus; can be used stand alone"...
Could perhaps be
"&kthesaurus; can be used as a standalone application"...

Line 73:
"included in &koffice; - this introduces several limitations"
(Being very very picky):
"included in &koffice; &en-dash; this introduces several limitations"

In the <itemizedlist> which follows, should each <listitem> be capitalized?
(eg, "many not so common" -> "Many not so common"). What do the proofreaders
think of this?

Line 85:
What do you mean by "function words"? Is this verbs, or names of functions?

Line 106:
I think:
"the &wordnet; man pages"
should be
"the &wordnet; <application>man</application> pages",
but others more knowledgeable than me might disagree.

Is the <copyright> section mandatory in the "preamble" of the document? The
KThesaurus documentation doesn't have one.

Like I said, these are really tiny things, and I don't like to sound critical
or some really nice documentation, but you did ask for it :-)
Regards,
PhilRod

--
"Let everyone sweep in front of his own front door, and the whole
world will be clean."