[kde-doc-english]Reworking keyboard shortcuts in non-kde applications

Frederik Fouvry fouvry at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE
Sun Apr 28 21:53:28 CEST 2002

| > Emacs notation: M-x customize-variable RET
| > KDE style: Meta X then <userinput>customize-variable</userinput> Enter
|
| (Sine I do not know docbook, the following suggestion could be completely
| wrong).
|
| Since the document is aimed at Emacs proficient users, I think you should
| give only the Emacs notation, maybe with a special tag
| <emacsinput>M-x customize-variable RET</emacsinput> which then typesets
| this notation in a "typewriter" style.
|
| If you want, you could then add a (very short) paragraph where
| you explain to KDE users how to read this notation. There, you could
| explain that Meta is often Alt, etc...

The extra paragraph is IMHO a better option than repeating the
full notation every time.

The extra element is a _very bad_ idea: it would make all that
documentation completely incompatible with standard DocBook.

It seems that the two notations are mappable into each other.
Perhaps it's possible to make the style sheets (and an option,
similar to e.g. a left-handed/right-handed option for mouse
buttons) generate the different options from the DocBook markup?
(Reactions to this suggestion to kde-DocBook list, please.)

Frederik
KDE DocBook