[kde-doc-english]Re: Re[2]: translating similar words

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Wed Apr 10 08:35:03 CEST 2002

Am Donnerstag, 11. April 2002 05:52 schrieb Wang Jian:

> Tuesday, April 09, 2002, 10:41:39 PM, you wrote:
>
> TD> translation. For historic reasons, we did (mostly) the same for
> "folder" TD> and "directory". But this was probably a mistake. It would
> have been better
>
> For this specific example, I think the difference is context oriented.
> Traditionally, a "directory" is a directory; from Windows 95 on,
> because GUI (an folder icon) is used, for visual/hint/intuition
> consistency, the term "folder" is used. Maybe the term "folder" was
> borrowed from Mac OS. In one word, "directory" is for command line
> while "folder" is for GUI.
>
> We zh_CN team use different translation for "directory" and "folder",
> but that is confusing anyway even for ourselves. I wish a consistent
> term is used in the future.

So do I. Problem is: which one? When this was discussed on the translators'
and documenters' lists there seemed to be a majority for "folder" as KDE
standard term, reserving "directory" only for shell context and the like
(as a standard term for Linux/Unix use, man pages etc.)

But that majority for folder wasn't too big. Therefore, nothing happened
(AFAIK) and I don't know if there are plans to finally get it over with in
3.1.

Regards,

Thomas

--