i18n_noop

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Oct 17 15:48:59 BST 2024

On Dienstag, 15. Oktober 2024 09:46:53 MESZ Halla Rempt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm porting Krita to KF6 now, and I'm running into an issue: i18n_noop no
> longer exists. Both in Calligra and Krita, we have
>
> const char* KoZoomMode::modes[] =
> {
>     I18N_NOOP("%1%"),
>     I18N_NOOP("Fit Page Width"),
>     I18N_NOOP("Fit Page"),
>     0,
>     I18N_NOOP("Actual Pixels")
> };
>
> in KoZoomMode.cpp -- but I18N_NOOP no longer exists. What should we use
> instead? Is there something that builds with both kf5 and kf6 or does it
> need ifdeffery?

Full background story of this change:
https://volkerkrause.eu/2021/10/23/kf5-retiring-i18n-noop-macros.html

The part that isn't documented anywhere though is that scripty technically
still extracts the I18N_NOOP macro (and will have to as long as we support 5
era code). So there is a temporary shortcut by adding "#define I18N_NOOP(x) x"
yourself. Not something to rely on long-term, but maybe handy during the
transition.

Regards,
Volker