KDE Gear projects with failing CI (master) (21 May 2024)

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun May 26 10:10:33 BST 2024

On Sun, May 26, 2024 at 6:59 PM Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:

> On Samstag, 25. Mai 2024 13:34:53 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:

> failing CI

> https://invent.kde.org/network/kio-gdrive/-/pipelines/693840

> > > have a

> for
> > >
> > > Qt

> especially

> the
> > >
> > > last

> any
> > >
> > > But do we actually need CI for libkgapi for this? We only need it
> > > available as
> > > a dependency, so theoretically even distro packages in the CI image
> would
> > > work
> > > (I'm very reluctant to try that though, as that might have all kinds of
> > > surprising side-effects due to whatever else that might pull in (e.g.
> > > ECM)).
> > > Therefore the idea to let the seed job provide it, by means of a kf5
> > > branch
> > > rule.
> >
> > Distribution packages definitely won't work :)
> >
> > Unfortunately the seed jobs can't help here, as the entirety of
> > release/23.08 has been dropped from the CI system.
> > There are also rules in place to continually re-drop any release/23.08
> > packages that do appear in the system.
>
> ah, so the problem isn't that the seed job wouldn't be able to build this,
> but
> the result wont be persisted?

Correct. That is assuming that libkgapi doesn't have any other dependencies
within KDE Gear of course.

> Next idea: add a kf5 branch to libkgapi, pointing to the latest
> release/23.08
> state, and change the branch rules accordingly. We did that for a few non-
> branched repos during the transition period of their (branched) consumers
> IIRC
> (e.g. kweathercore, kirigami-addons).

This would work totally fine.
For distributions, do we have any kind of release plan for this as they
will need this in order to be able to build kio-gdrive?

> from
> > >
> > > It's @stable and @latest-kf6 depending on the Qt version in kio-gdrive,
> > > and
> > > inside libkgapi it's @latest for its KF5 dependencies, which seems
> correct
> > > IIUC?
> >
> > @stable for the relationship between libkgapi and kio-gdrive isn't
> correct
> > as they're both within KDE Gear no?
>
> In general, yes. But practically libkgapi isn't in Gear anymore from a Qt5
> kio-gdrive perspective, so pointing to a specific (older) branch instead
> would
> seem like something that could help here.

> > > something

> that
> > >
> > > same

> > > We already have that mixed scenario anyway in 24.02 it seems, so that
> is
> > > apparently working.
> >
> > I'm only aware of one case where that happened, which was a special one
> off
> > as KF5 apps needed the Qt 5 plugins still?
> > (I think this was kio-extras)
>
> Yeah, KIO workers is one such case. There's also some inter-dependencies
> in
> edu that are not a problem yet but where different parts seem to be moving
> at
> different speeds towards Qt 6 (Labplot <-> Cantor, Marble <-> *).
> Hopefully
> none of that becomes a problem, but I'd feel better if we have less
> drastic
> options available to deal with that :)

Yes, those have already started to poke through here and there.
(Labplot/Cantor most notably, haven't seen any Marble issues yet)

> > Perhaps we need to ask distributions to treat kio-gdrive the same?

> > > restore

> > > Don't get me wrong, I'm all for retiring Qt5 stuff as soon as we can,
> but
> > > fear this isn't the only place where we will hit this problem, and not
> all
> > > of
> > > those might be able to do that just yet.
> >
> > In an ideal world, applications (the leaves) would drop Qt 5 support
> first,
> > and then once all consumers had migrated away the libraries would start
> > dropping support.
> > Not sure why libkgapi had to rush to drop Qt 5....
>
> My guess is this was mainly a matter of not being aware of kio-gdrive
> using
> this and only considering kdepim-runtime for the decision.

Perhaps we need to move libkgapi to libraries/ instead of leaving it within
pim/ given the fact that it is used outside of PIM?

> Regards,
> Volker

Cheers,
Ben