KDE Gear projects with failing CI (master) (18 June 2024)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Jun 19 08:07:50 BST 2024

On Mittwoch, 19. Juni 2024 00:49:14 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> kdenlive - 2nd week
>  * https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/pipelines/716283
>   * craft_appimage_qt6_x86_64 fails
>

> isoimagewriter - NEW
>  * https://invent.kde.org/utilities/isoimagewriter/-/pipelines/716655
>   * craft_appimage_qt6_x86_64 fails
>

> neochat - NEW
>  * https://invent.kde.org/network/neochat/-/pipelines/716759
>   * craft_appimage_qt6_x86_64 fails

All of these fail because the tests of kconfig don't build. I'm wondering why
not all AppImage builds of all projects fail.

The cause for the failing (or highly unstable) builds of the tests of kconfig
is an error in the test design. Here's what I wrote late last night in
#kde-craft:kde.org.

===
There is a pair of tests, e.g. Test8 and Test8_cmake where the latter is
supposed to test that cmake can generate a .kcfgc file. The problem is that
both tests share the same test8main.cpp which includes a test8a.h. This
test8a.h is generated via test8a.kcfg[c] for Test8, but for Test8_cmake
test8a_cmake.h is generated via a test8a_cmake.kcfg[c]. If for some reason
Test8_cmake is built before Test8 then test8main.cpp doesn't find test8a.h. I'm
not yet sure how to fix this. Maybe we need to create patched copies of
testXmain.cpp which includes a testXx_cmake.h instead of a testXx.h. Or maybe
we put both tests in separate subdirs and don't append _cmake to the files used
for the TestX_cmake tests. That's feels like a cleaner solution also because
it better isolates the two tests from each other.
===

With make the problem doesn't seem to occur because it looks like the Makefiles
serialize building of Test8 and Test8_cmake so that Test8_cmake is always
built after Test8 where Test8 creates the headers that Test8_cmake uses. With
ninja the builds of both targets don't seem to be serialized so that
Test8_cmake could be built before Test8. -> Fail!

Regards,
Ingo