Defining a developer name for our applications metadata

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Wed Jan 31 14:19:35 GMT 2024

Am Mi., 31. Jan. 2024 um 08:50 Uhr schrieb Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org>:

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 7:04 AM Timothée Ravier <travier at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Flathub is now requiring that applications define a "developer_name" tag
>> in their metadata (see [1], [2]).
>>
>> What do folks think would be a good value for our application there?
>>
>> Based on the suggestion in the documentation [3], I started making PRs
>> [4] [5] [6] [7] for our KDE Apps with "The KDE Community" as the
>> "developer_name" tag.
>>

> Wait, so Flathub has begun requiring an older tag that the Appstream
> developers have deprecated?
>
> So we need to add tags to our metadata that are already deprecated and
> which are going to result in future failures of our own unit tests when
> upstream pulls the plug on developer_name as a tag and makes it a warning
> deprecation rather than an information deprecation?

Flathub is still transitioning away from old appstream-glib tooling to the
reference implementation, which will actually make it recognize all modern
features immediately and properly. Nobody thought that this would take
years and longer than AppStream 1.0 to be released, but it's happening.
I do not know the current status though, my last info was that Flathub had
switched, but that clearly doesn't seem to be fully the case yet...

The good thing is that the deprecation phase for this tag will be really,
really long - so it becoming a warning shouldn't be an issue for years.

Cheers,
    Matthias