Flathub and Snap Store entries for KGeoTag

Simon Redman simon at ergotech.com
Thu Jan 4 14:53:39 GMT 2024

Pedantically, my reading of LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-GPL, it does not allow distributing software under LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-GPL.

The text is here:
https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy#LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-GPL

"""
you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
version 3 of the license or [e.V. approved later version]
"""

So at the time you redistribute the software (to flathub, etc.), you need to make a choice. At the moment, the only allowable choice is GPL3.

If you stamp LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-GPL on something which you are distributing, you're (again, pedantically) violating the license because it says that you can redistribute it as GPL3, but does not say you can distribute it as LicenseRef-KDE-Accepted-GPL.

Consider more practically: whomever is downloading the flatpak should know what version of the GPL license it adheres to. "GPL3 or some future version" is not a license, it's a collection of licenses! If GPL4 is written to prevent some future-TiVoization, then future-TiVo really needs to know whether the project is distributed as GPL3 or GPL4.

Thanks,
Simon