Post-MegaRelease projects

Jin Liu m.liu.jin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 02:27:00 GMT 2024

Another thing I'd like to explore is to have some universal way to
programmatically change KDE settings.

Currently, I either change settings in KCMs, or manually edit a config
file then make a dbus "reconfigure" call. But the latter is mostly
undocumented. Perhaps we can gather all KConfig files into a CLI tool
that has _some_ documentation and can do the config file editing /
reconfigure.

Scenarios I'm targeting with this:
1. A "quick setting" widget that allows the user to toggle some
setting directly on the panel, even if it's hidden deeply in
systemsettings.
2. A "ChatGPT" or "Windows Copilot" like app that allows the user to
toggle settings via natural language, typed or speech.

The major difficulties I see: some combination of settings might be
invalid, and the logic to prevent invalid combos might be in the KCM
code. So this tool has the risk of breaking KDE softwares.