Current Konsole Crashes

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Sat Aug 31 18:46:11 BST 2024

On Sat, Aug 31, 2024 at 5:39 PM Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> konsole started to crash a lot; daily for me.
> i tried to find the culprit but it doesnt seem to be in konsole code - at least theres no change in the code that it crashes for many years.
>
> i believe there is a change in kxmlgui actionCollection handling - but didnt had the time to look for.
>
> i ask for help to identify and fix. there are a few things that made me think the problem is the actionCollection():
>
> - splits are registering the same shortcut for actions so when you hit, eg, ctrl shift v, a message appears "more than one shortcut registered", but if you try again, it might work.
> (randomly disabling actions or the actions for a different pane)

IIRC this happens because the window has a full set of shortcuts and
then each tab has a sessioncontroller and each SC has a full set of
shortcuts as well. that means multiple shortcuts are registered in
Qt's **global** table of shortcuts. what happens when you hit
ctrl-shift-v is that depending on the focus situation Qt may find
**both** the current SC and the window to have focus (albeit by
different heuristics) and that they both supply overlapping shortcuts.
kwidgetsaddons then gets angry and throws up the error dialog while
also eating the activation event. that's as far as I got before
calling it quits. it's probably a regression in the Qt heuristics
because the shortcut magic seems to have changed quite a bit in 6.7,
but at the same time having multiple overlapping actions/shortcuts is
also quite meh on the konsole side of things even when technically
only one set should be considered active at a time.

qWidgetShortcutContextMatcher
correctWidgetContext
correctActionContext
QShortcutMap