PSA: Enable KCrash for you application

Joshua Goins josh at redstrate.com
Fri Aug 9 16:54:39 BST 2024

On Thursday, August 8, 2024 9:06:03 AM EDT Nicolas Fella wrote:
> Hi,
>
> TL;DR: Call KCrash::initialize() after setting up KAboutData
>
> crash reporting via DrKonqi to Bugzilla and Sentry is powered by the
> KCrash framework, which acts as the crash handler inside the application.
>
> To install the crash handler you need to call KCrash::initialize() in
> your application's main function. Since the crash handler relies on
> information from KAboutData you should do it after the call to
> KAboutData::setApplicationData(). For best results make sure to include
> the application version in the about data.

Thanks for posting this to the ML Nico. I'm wondering since 24.08 is close to
releasing I want to get KCrash in for some of my applications. We're past
dependency freeze, though. Assuming I do the usual way of using KCrash (adding
to .kde-ci.yml and using __has_include("KCrash")) would that need approval
from the release team to make an exception? Or is it so inconsequential it
should be OK?

Thanks,
Josh