Retiring Phabricator - Migrating tasks to Gitlab

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Tue May 23 00:39:32 BST 2023

Great, this will be a good thing to have behind us.

Because workboards in GitLab are Label-driven via automation, I think we
would have to make each workboard column in Phabricator transform into a
custom label in GitLab so that Tasks' positions in workboards can be
preserved when they move to GitLab.

Also, in Phabricator, Tasks have no real "home"; they just have project
tags, and they can have multiple such tags to be able to belong to
multiple projects. For example "VDG" and also "Plasma". Such a Task
shows up in both projects' workboards. But in GitLab, Issues need to
live in one place and only one place. So for such Phab tasks, we would
need a way to determine the single new home of the Task in GitLab, and
perhaps tag them with global-scope labels or something?

In Gitlab, it's Labels all the way down...

Nate