developer account set up

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun May 7 20:07:57 BST 2023

On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 3:22 AM Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:

> There's also no reason anymore why they need to use a work branch in the
> main repo; a fork works just fine. I do nearly all of my development
> using personal forks; it's a 100% supported first-class citizen experience.

For those using forks, please make sure you cleanup any fork that you're
not using once you're finished with it.

This is especially relevant if you are only using it for one or two quick
changes, as GitLab only performs something known as "housekeeping" on
repositories that have a certain level of use (I think it is run every 5
pushes)

Over the weekend I executed "housekeeping" on every repository on
invent.kde.org, including the 7,000 or so forks that exist (to put that
number in perspective, we have around 11,000 repositories in total).
It resulted in the better part of 100GB being freed, and around 600,000
inodes being released - mostly due to forks that only got used a small
handful of times.

> Nate

Thanks,
Ben