SoK23 | Blog post about Selenium-At-SPI

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Thu May 4 10:25:46 BST 2023

Follow-up to this discussion at the plasma-devel mailing list:

   Subject: testing UIs and improving a11y all at once!

   https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2023-April/123044.html

Harald Sitter posted in December about automated testing of Qt programs
with the Selenium Webdriver using AT-SPI. [1] Perhaps of interest to
many of you, I would like now to draw your attention to a blog post
published today about follow-up work from Nitin Tejuja during Season of
KDE 2023.

    *SoK 2023 Selenium-ST-API KDE Eco Power Measurement Proof Of
Concept: Achieving Three KDE Goals With One Stone!*

    https://eco.kde.org/blog/2023-05-04-sok23-kde-eco-selenium-sum-up/

In the post Emmanuel Charruau outlines how this work is relevant for all
3 of KDE's current goals. [2] Read more at the blog post!

1. Sustainable Software
2. KDE For All
3. Automate And Systematize Internal Processes

And you can check out the step-by-step guide to Selenium-AT-SPI to be
included as Chapter 4 in the energy measurement handbook (draft):

https://invent.kde.org/teams/eco/be4foss/-/merge_requests/79/diffs#9535d50cb0a5be5a4f5e08ebc2a839c07afdb834

Great work and thank you, Nitin, together with mentors Emmanuel and Harald!

Cheers,
Joseph

[1]
https://planet.kde.org/harald-sitter-2022-12-14-selenium-at-spi-gui-testing/

[2] https://kde.org/goals/

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
KDE Internal Communications & KDE Eco Community Manager

Generally available Monday-Thursday from 10-16h CET/CEST. Outside of
these times it may take a little longer for me to respond.

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!
Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @be4foss at floss.social