Usage of KF5/KF6 in targets and CMake config files outside of Frameworks

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Mar 9 17:03:17 GMT 2023

On Donnerstag, 9. März 2023 16:58:40 CET Heiko Becker wrote:
> while looking at a MR for libkcddb (part of Gear) I wondered if the
> transition
> from Qt5/KF5 to Qt6/KF6 could be used to get rid of the KF5/6 prefix in
> target
> names and CMake config files for libraries that aren't acutally part of
> Frameworks.

+1

> Changing that obviously involves some (temporary) compatibility concerns,
> but that doesn't play any role with the move to Qt6/KF6. So I suggest to
> use the chance and get rid of said prefix with the upcoming porting.
>
> One example where this was done already some time ago is libkgapi:
> https://invent.kde.org/pim/libkgapi/-/commit/8d15e66f1ed87a52377111735e24888
> b7f924a49

This is a particular bad example because it changes the name of the Qt5
version breaking all existing Qt5-based users instead of just fixing the name
for Qt6/KF6. (Yes, this KDE PIM library isn't public API, so it doesn't hurt
external users. But it has cost me many hours compiling libraries from source
where I previously could always use the distribution packages). Please don't
follow this annoying example.

Regards,
Ingo