Frameworks master is Qt6 now

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Mon Feb 6 19:51:39 GMT 2023

Am 23.01.23 um 17:23 schrieb Nicolas Fella:
> Am 19.01.23 um 13:44 schrieb Nicolas Fella:
>> Am 18.01.23 um 23:58 schrieb Nicolas Fella:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> the master branch of frameworks repositories now required Qt6 to build.
>>> Maintenance of KF5 continues in the "kf5" branch.
>>>
>>> Those using kdesrc-build make sure your kdesrc-builrc contains
>>> "branch-group kf5-qt5", then it will switch to the correct branch
>>> automatically.
>>>
>>> Those building manually please adjust your workflow accordingly.
>>>
>>> Any merge requests for frameworks should target Qt6/master (unless they
>>> are not applicable there). If the change should be backported to KF5
>>> cherry-pick it to the kf5 branch after merging.
>>>
>>> Note that for the time being the kf5 branch has to stay compatible with
>>> Qt6. This is required to keep the currently existing Qt6 builds
>>> working.
>>>
>>> This does *not* mean that master is now open for any kind of breaking
>>> change. We will announce more on this soon.
>>
>> Assuming no major issues with our tooling crop up soon we will proceed
>> with the following changes:
>>
>> - Bump the KF_VERSION in master to 5.240.0. At some point we will
>> release one or more beta versions, which will have 5.250.0 etc as
>> version number. This is to follow the practice of .80/.90 version
>> numbers, but slightly adjusted to account for 255 being the technical
>> upper limit.
>>
>> - Drop build system code to build with Qt5
>>
>> - Rename library/target names to KF6
>>
>> - Drop deprecated API. To ensure compatibility with existing Qt6 builds
>> this will initially be done only for API that was deprecated before
>> 5.100 since that is what the current Qt6 CI enforces. Eventually we of
>> course want to drop everything deprecated, but that requires porting
>> consumers of it first.
>>
>> I expect this to happen over the next few days. I will announce once
>> this is done and master is open for more invasive changes.
>
> Hi,
>
> as an update to this:
>
> We are currently progressing nicely with this, but are not done yet.
>
> Some amount of instability/breakage is expected, so *I do not recommend*
> to try and use frameworks master until things have settled down a bit.
>
> Doing so prematurely would only cause extra work for everyone involved.
>
> I will announce once things have settled enough to start working on more
> things.

Hi,

the items mentioned are now done. We are now mostly in the process of
ironing out some edges and wrapping up some loose ends.

There's a list of "TODO after branching" tasks in
https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/kf6/ as well as a lot of "TODO KF6"
comments all across our codebase. Help with going through them and
addressing them is appreciated.

master is open for regular development as well as breaking changes.

Cheers

Nico