New project to translate videos subtitles

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 21:28:28 BST 2023

Le lun. 21 août 2023 à 20:48, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> a écrit :

> On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 12:00 AM Johnny Jazeix <jazeix at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>

> Hi Johnny,
>

>> Inspired by the accessibility goal, Promo had the idea of including
>> subtitles and closed captions for videos for several KDE projects
>> (Akademy interviews, GCompris videos like
>> https://tube.kockatoo.org/w/symxHCzUj9TA7LZoZagD9c...).
>>
>> I've created a repository which handles the conversion from subtitles
>> <=> po files for translators using KDE scripts
>> (https://invent.kde.org/jjazeix/srt2po) and Translate Toolkit.
>> There is also a script to upload the subtitles to the KDE peertube instance.
>>
>> There could be several issues with translating only the text but I
>> still think it's worth it to be able to translate them using the usual
>> KDE workflow:
>> * if we want to display some lines longer because the translated text
>> takes more time to read;
>> * if we want to add extra texts at different times.
>> In order to workaround these issues, the project will also allow
>> translator to directly write the srt files instead of passing by a po
>> file.
>> All the srt files will be centralised here, which will avoid
>> translators to look for them.
>>
>> In which gitlab group would it be better to create this repository and
>> what would be the process to create it? Accessibility ou Utilities
>> seem good to me but as it will contain more data than scripts/code,
>> maybe there is a better place for it.
>

> This isn't something that fits terribly well within our existing groupings, especially given it is mostly promotional content.
>
> The tooling itself that supports this should go to SDK I would say, as this is something that only a developer/translator/etc would use (never an actual user).
>
> In the absence of anything else, websites/ works well for the actual content itself given this will end up attached to videos we publish online.

That would be good for me. There is actually one script (to upload to
peertube). At some point, it would be nice to have the same for
YouTube. The conversion between srt and po is done via an existing
toolkit so if it fits the needs, there won't be any more scripts. Is
there an existing SDK repo that could welcome these scripts?

The srt files can go to a new Websites repository, that is ok for me.
I'll wait until the end of the week to create a sysadmin ticket in
case there is more to discuss before creating it.

Thanks Albert and Ben,

Johnny