New releases for bugfixes

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Sep 10 10:41:18 BST 2022

Am 09.09.22 um 11:42 schrieb samuel ammonius:
> Thanks. I hadn't thought of a lot of these issues before.
>
> I think the biggest one is that If there's an update that the package
> manager didn'tknow about, the user would have to update right after installing, and
> the bug would come back if the user re-installed or updated the app. Sorry everybody
no the biggest issue on the userside is that nobody wants every random
application tamper the system

if i want applications asking me about updates i could have stayed at
windows and "yum upgrade" was the main reason for Linux

when you open that can of worms imagine where it ends

security wise it's a nightmare because you not only have the
distribution you need to trust - intrusion on any upstream would
directly hit you at any random point in time while distribution updates
are usually tested at least by some people and changes reviewed by
downstream maintainers

and who does the work and deal with bugreports "the update of kate
destroyed it on my system and i don't know why nor how i revert it"

with the package manager i type "dnf downgrade kate", file a bug against
the distribution and kde upstream isn't involved at all

upstream opensource developers write the code, that's it, they don't and
shouldn't need to care about every downstream distribution and it's
pitfalls - it's wasted time because that's what downstream component
maintainers are for

the fedora maintainer from kde likely has no knowledge about Gentoo,
Ubuntu, SuSE for good reasons and you think blow that load to upstream
developers would help anybody?

wasted time and resources