New releases for bugfixes

samuel ammonius sfammonius at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 21:24:12 BST 2022

> because outside the windows world central package management is the norm
> and based on "least privileges" applications must not have the
> permissions to change itself

I didn't mean a background update. I meant the user could get a dialog or
notification asking them to update, and if they press "yes" they can enter
their
root password and the app can update itself and restart.

> and for each distribution with different dependencies and libraries

How does KDE have different dependencies for different distros? (To be
honest
though, I only mentioned this method because I thought having multiple
options
would advertise the idea in the second method)

> if you don't care for security

The security risk is very small, and it can be fixed in a lot of different
ways. The
app could create a folder that only root can access within the /tmp folder.
If even
that's not secure enough, the app could create source files with just
"#define MAIN_CPP_SOURCE" and compile with "-DMAIN_CPP_SOURCE=[the
source code] so that it never has to be stored on the disk before being
compiled.

> which distribution installs a compiler by default so that one can avoid
> touching it?

I don't think I've ever used one that *doesn't* come with at least gcc
installed.
I've tried Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and OpenSUSE. Now that I think about it
though,
they don't come with g++ installed, and they definitely don't come with Qt
headers
installed, but they don't take that much space, and maybe they can also
just be
placed in /tmp and removed after the update.

It didn't take me 10 minutes to answer these questions in my head, so I
don't
see why you're trying to scrap the idea so quickly for its faults instead
of trying
to fix them. A bit of constructive criticism would be nice.

Cheers,
Sam