New releases for bugfixes

Ahmad Samir a.samirh78 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:59:43 BST 2022

On 8/9/22 13:51, Nicolas Fella wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think Nate or anyone wants to propose a strict policy that when
> X then Y has to happen. That's just not how we operate in KDE. I do
> think it is valuable though to discuss and create some guidelines/shared
> understanding/soft policy that maintainers can use as a reference when
> making decisions. That would match very well how decisions and policies
> are made in KDE.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nico

As I said somewhere else in this thread, any fixes should be backported to the stable branch/tag in
git (that is most likely the current work flow for the release teams).

 From the git-archive manual page:

«git archive behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In
the first case the current time is used as the modification time of each file in the archive. In the
latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead.
Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header if the tar format is used; it
can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. In ZIP files it is stored as a file comment.»

so:
- backport fix to the stable branch
- packagers can look at that branch to find what extra commits their downstream packages don't have yet

Regards,
Ahmad Samir