New releases for bugfixes

mail at flherne.uk mail at flherne.uk
Thu Sep 8 02:28:57 BST 2022

On 2022-09-07 16:28, Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 5:20 PM <mail at flherne.uk> wrote:
>> In most projects the maintainers who'd make a release decision are the
>> same people who triage bugs
>
> You quite clearly have no idea how this community works. I'll thank
> you not to misdirect discussions.
>
> Ta

I find that quite insulting.

I've *been* the guy who had to ask for a new KDevelop release because a
trivial patch turned out to crash the parser with a specific distro's
Python setup.

When I had time to work on kdev-python I spent quite a bit of effort
triaging our bugs and deciding which to work on, and then wbich fixes
were reasonable to backport.
I was in the room at Akademy with the whole team doing much the same.
We never had any separation between the people regularly doing bug
triaging and the maintainers, and until KDevelop joined the release
service quite recently the same people did all the releases too.

If you think my perspective from one corner of KDE is skewed, or
outdated because I've not been active much in the last couple of years,
I'd be happy to hear it and you'd probably be right.

But a one-line brush-off as if I've never been part of the
community...that does upset me.

-Francis H