Copying po/docbook files to repositories nightly

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Sep 3 03:57:32 BST 2022

On Sat, Sep 3, 2022 at 9:24 AM Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> As you may know, translations for apps don't live in the same place as the
> code for the apps themselves.
>
> This greatly benefits translators but is not awesome for the release
> management
> side of things since it means that for each release we need to not forget
> copy the appropriate files to the appropriate place, makes tagging
> somewhat
> harder, etc.
>
> For a while now we have been running an "experimental" copy-po-qm-docbook-
> back-to-repository in a number of "select" repositories and it seems to
> have
> worked quite well, you can seem one example in
> https://invent.kde.org/plasma-mobile/alligator/-/commits/master/po
>
> The idea is to enable this for all repositories.
>
> This is a heads up, as a developer there's nothing you need to do, at most
> remove the po/ folder from .gitignore if for some reason it is there.
>
> If you're a packager you will need to make sure your scripts don't try to
> copy
> po/qm/docbook files anymore when doing a release once this is activated.
>
> My plan would be to enable this scripts over Akademy so we have the high
> bandwidth there to fix things if needed.
>
> Opinions? Comments?

I'm very happy to see this change finally start to roll out - being
something that was last discussed back in MIlian I believe!

Looking forward to it rolling out as it will mean we can start including
translations in nightly builds and will no longer have such a high
release-day load on our systems.

> Cheers,
>   Albert

Cheers,