Debugging KDE CI runners

Steven Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Tue Oct 11 14:51:11 BST 2022

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 3:20:06 A.M. CDT Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 6:49 PM Steven Robbins <steve at sumost.ca> wrote:

> > I am trying to understand how libraries are selected for installation on
> > the
> > KDE CI/CD machines.

> There are a couple of things here to pull apart.
>
> First, the Gitlab CI jobs you mention above themselves don't use Craft at
> all at build time, so the above configurations you are referring to have no
> impact whatsoever.

Ah, that's one crucial detail, thanks!

> Those jobs rely on KDE specific Docker containers on Linux and Windows, and
> on FreeBSD is a fixed statically provisioned machine.
> For Linux and FreeBSD, we use only distribution provided packages for those
> systems - while on Windows we use Craft to deploy a static and
> centrally managed list of packages on the system.

OK.  Can you help me understand the full scope of Craft?  Is it solely for the
windows CI configuration?  I've heard that there are also distribution builders
(for flatpack and the like) -- is Craft involved in any of that?

> You are therefore subject to whatever versions of ffmpeg are provided by
> OpenSUSE (our Linux Docker image provider) and FreeBSD for those platforms,
> and on Windows whatever Craft has specified as the default version of
> ffmpeg.

OK -- this explains windows I suppose, as the default ffmpeg is indeed set to
5.0.1 [1].  Is this the default setting you refer to?

[1] https://invent.kde.org/packaging/craft-blueprints-kde/-/blob/master/libs/
ffmpeg/ffmpeg.py#L25

For OpenSUSE and FreeBSD: is there a central location I can check to
understand what version of suse/freebsd is being presently used?  How often
are OS updates done?  Is there an annoucement list to track this?

Now comes my real question.  At present, Digikam aims to support both FFMPEG 4
and 5.  Therefore it is best to test both configurations.  Is there any
mechanism to have TWO CI runners per OS -- one with each version of ffmpeg?

> With regards to your Craft Blueprint above, my understanding is that what
> you have there is not valid syntax, as Craft doesn't look at individual
> blueprints to resolve versions to use.
> This is why in your Binary Factory configuration you have the following
> specified:
>
> 'Digikam':
>  buildBlueprint: "digikam"
>  versions:
>  - name: 'Nightly'
>    target: 'master'
>    packageAppx: True
>    - 'libs/ffmpeg.version=4.4'
>  platforms:
>  - 'macos'
>  - 'win64'
>  - 'mingw64'
>  - 'appimage-centos7'
>  - 'android-x86_64'

OK, but then is anything actually adhering to "libs/ffmpeg.version=4.4"?
Clearly the windows CI runner is not.

Thanks very much!
-Steve