Docker CI Image Change Freeze

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Nov 18 18:55:38 GMT 2022

Hi all,

Recently Sysadmin received a series of requests to rebuild the Docker
images used to support KDE CI services on invent.kde.org.

Unfortunately one of these rebuilds has exposed a bug of unknown origin (as
it fails on our side but by all accounts works elsewhere) where Craft is
unable to compile Ninja (with the compilation dying due to a Makefile
syntax error that looks like a CMake bug).

The failure log can be found at
https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-images/-/jobs/601722

Subsequent to this we have also received a request to rebuild our Linux
images to allow for Grantlee 5.3 to be used.

Given how development is conducted within some projects that make heavy use
of Grantlee, and how some of that technology is used across multiple
platforms it would be harmful to the wider CI system and KDE Community to
allow for Grantlee 5.3 to become available on any of our platforms.

I'm therefore imposing a change freeze on all KDE CI Docker images until
the issue with Craft/Ninja/CMake is resolved.

Should any project have prematurely adopted a mandatory dependency on
Grantlee 5.3 then as they have failed to follow the correct change process
as documented on our wikis that change is deemed to be outside policy and
should be reverted immediately.

Regards,
Ben Cooksley
KDE Sysadmin