Asking for a new project

Bourumir Wyngs bourumir.wyngs at gmail.com
Tue May 31 07:20:44 BST 2022

Hello, KDE team,

I would like to create the independent fork of Krita that would allow to
use *all modern features of C++*, up till that is supported by the latest
GCC release, 12.1 at the time of writing.

The current Krita development rules are capped by C++11 that is now the ten
years old standard. Even that is limited by the lengthy list of
restrictions. The rules also require using deprecated features of the Qt
framework like Q_FOREACH. I understand the care of the community not to
spoil anything and to preserve the beauty of the existing code. This means,
radical changes should be done in a form.

I tried to setup the project on KDE myself (
https://invent.kde.org/bourumir/kreed) but for some reason was not able to
push Krita code (about 1 Gb) into repository - hangs at the end of the
push. It may have something to do with quotas or things the like. It may be
that I need more assistance from your side to setup the project. I decided
to contact you first before starting the work on GitHub or independent
server instead.

I, the project initiator, am currently 54 year old. I am robotic engineer
with very long programming experience, including significant industrial
experience with C++. In the past I made notable contribution to GNU
Classpath project, providing them a fully functional and interoperable
implementation of CORBA. It is obviously sad there are no other
contributors so far but I expect some people to come. I also made several
contributions for Krita so have some understanding about code base and
architecture of this project. My real name is Audrius Meskauskas.