NetworkManagerQt

Carl Schwan carl at carlschwan.eu
Fri May 27 22:11:08 BST 2022

Le vendredi 27 mai 2022 à 10:03 PM, Nicolas Fella <nicolas.fella at gmx.de> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On 27/05/2022 17:35, Kovour, Sathyanarayana wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> My name is Sathya Kovour, I am part of Baxter International, a medical device manufacturer.
>>
>> We come across NetworkManagerQt https://marketplace.qt.io/products/networkmanagerqt, and we have a few questions while we are making decision to use this very convenient modules in our project.
>>
>> - As per above link this project is accessible for us with LGPL v2.1+. According to our legal department this is very restrictive for our distribution scenarios. I am wondering if you offer any additional licenses for this project to be used in our commercial setup without copy left clause.
>
> The short answer is: No.
>
> The longer answer is: To do this one would need to contact all of the contributors/copyright holders and ask them to agree to a new license. That is doable in theory but prohibitively difficult in practice.

In adition to that Nicolas already said, you might want to double check if the LGPL 2.1 license is really to restrictive for your distributions scenarios. The LGPL 2.1 is more permissive than the normal GPL 2 and the LGPL 3 and as been specially be developed to be integrated inside proprietary projects.

I'm not a layer, but the key requirement for the LGPL 2.1 license is that you link the library with your project using dynamic linking, add a link to the source code and if you do modification to the library, you also need to publish your modification to the library. The rest of your project is not affected by the copy left clause.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Carl