QtWebengine version

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri May 20 23:27:00 BST 2022

El divendres, 20 de maig de 2022, a les 17:14:16 (CEST), Jonathan Riddell va escriure:
> I'm building Qt 5 from the KDE branches with the new 5.15.4 rebase and
> QtWebengine is up to 5.15.10, I understand this is because there are tags
> in Qt Git for it.

We do *not* maintain a kde/5.15 branch for qtwebengine, what you get is the actual upstream 5.15 branch, that module is still maintained publicly.

> I can patch the version number in QtWebEngine to match but that feels
> wrong.  What's the right solution?
> https://invent.kde.org/neon/qt/qtwebengine/-/blob/Neon/release/debian/patches/0001-lower-version-to-.3-to-align-with-the-rest-of-the-pa.patch

For me that looks like the right solution (I have not looked at the patch, i mean it from the theoretical point of view), you're indeed mixing two versions, it's just that they happen to work better so relaxing the requirement to be exactly matching versions makes sense.

Other [wrong] solutions would be:
 * Use actual qtwebengine 5.15.4 instead 5.15.10 <- that's stupid, you'll only get more security bugs
 * Us creating a kde/5.15 branch on top of 5.15 and faking the version number to call it 5.15.4 <- that's wrong, it's not 5.15.4

One solution that may make sense is:
 * Us creating a kde/5.15 branch on 5.15 and make it so the generated cmake file doesn't exactly require 5.15.x but just generally require 5.15

I think that would probably be an acceptable solution (maybe i'm wrong, it's late), but do we have someone with the time to work on such a patch?

Cheers,
  Albert