Debugging CI test failures

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Jun 23 09:36:06 BST 2022

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 11:41 PM Thomas Friedrichsmeier <
thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 22:49:42 +1200
> Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 9:12 AM Thomas Friedrichsmeier <
> > thomas.friedrichsmeier at kdemail.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, 19 Jun 2022 22:43:54 +1200
> > > Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > >

> https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-images/-/blob/master/windows-msvc2019/Dockerfile

> > > Can do, but I won't be fast.
> > >

> > I've had a stab at doing this now in
> > https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-images/-/jobs/366231
>
> Ah, great!
>
> (My own efforts did not even get as far as building a local docker
> image for testing. Unsurprisingly, that didn't work on a Linux host,
> but also didn't work in a Windows VM, and not on a Windows 10 thumb
> drive, either, so I had had to postpone that project.)

You will need a Windows 11 or Windows Server 2022 system in order to build
our Docker images.

Due to limitations in Windows 10 and earlier versions of Windows Server the
Docker image and Host versions of Windows had to be precisely synchronised.
With recent updates to Windows 10 at least, there is no longer a compatible
image available so it is no longer a viable option as a container host.

(We are running Windows Server 2022 on the CI nodes, as it makes
installation of Docker that actually functions properly straightforward -
unlike on Desktop where it is very flaky, at least on Windows 10)

> Regards
> Thomas

Cheers,
Ben