Genderidentity

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Thu Jan 6 18:21:39 GMT 2022

On 1/6/22 10:56, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> There is a time and place to teach kids about the complexity of gender
> and I don't think an exercise about arithmetic/counting is the right
> place.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie-to-children

Speaking from the perspective of being a parent of two children, I
strongly agree with Nicolás. There is a time and a place for each
subject to be introduced. Gender identity is a fraught topic, and in
general children who are not manifesting any discomfort with the gender
identity they were assigned based on their biological sex don't need to
be exposed to this information early, because it's not yet relevant to
them. It's different for kids who feel discomfort with their assigned
gender identity at an early age (as with almost all LGBTQ people I have
known), but these situations are best handled by supportive parents and
a supportive peer group IMO.

Nate