SPDX and docbook documentation, how to do properly?

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Wed Jan 5 13:22:51 GMT 2022

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 1:45 PM Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
<kossebau at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the section "License Statements in Non-Source-Code Files" at
>     https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/
> Licensing#License_Statements_in_Non-Source-Code_Files
> currently does not hold an example how to add SPDX tags. And by a quick look
> it seems not many docbook files in KDE repos currently have any such info, so
> no pattern could be derived from the real world samples.
>
> Also unclear to me how to best integrate with the predefined docbook tags, or
> if duplication is needed?
>
> Could we have some example given by those with insights?

I know next to nothing about docbook, but generally speaking this
should simply follow the XML approach I expect

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<...docbook entity stuff>
<!-- SPDX-License-Identifier... -->

As for the duplication: It is my understanding that we route all our
docbooks through meinproc5, so presumably that could be a place where
we find the SPDX tags and auto-inject them into the docbook DOM - i.e.
my thinking is we turn SPDX into the canonical author information and
then have meinproc inject the DOM nodes accordingly, on the fly. Not
sure how feasible that is though.

HS