Wednesday 9 Feb. 19:00 CET | KDE Eco community meetup

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Mon Feb 7 16:24:12 GMT 2022

Hi sustainable Free Software enthusiasts!

The 2nd Wednesday of the month is already this week -- and so is our
monthly KDE Eco community meetup! :) (My apologies for cross-posting.)

_Short Overview_

*When*: Wednesday 9 February 19:00 CET (UTC+1) (ics event attached)

*Where*: https://meet.kde.org/b/jos-l59-2i1-9yt

*Topic*: Prof. Dr. Stefan Naumann, Achim Guldner, and Christopher Stumpf
from Umwelt Campus Birkenfeld will lead a discussion on measuring the
energy consumption of distributed systems and extending the Blauer Engel
criteria to such systems.

*Who*: The discussion will be particularly relevant for those developing
and testing client-server and p2p applications as well as mobile apps
... especially if you are already focused on performance optimization,
also relevant for energy-consumption. Of course, everyone interested in
sustainable software development is also cordially invited!

_Details_

Research done at the Umwelt Campus Birkenfeld has been fundamental to
the establishing the Blauer Engel award criteria for software. In this
presentation they will discuss developing the criteria further,
specifically with respect to distributed systems (client-server, p2p,
apps requiring external services). From the website:

 > With the Blue Angel for software products, the first eco-label for
sustainable software is available since 2020. Currently, the Blue Angel
can only be awarded to desktop software, whose development focuses on
resource and energy efficiency. In this project, the existing Basic
Award Criteria for the eco-label will be developed further, so that
client-server systems and mobile applications (apps) can also be
certified in the future.

https://www.umwelt-campus.de/en/green-software-engineering/refoplan-20

The presenters are particularly interested in learning from the FOSS
community how distributed systems are currently tested (white box vs.
black box testing, functional vs. non-functional testing, hardware
tests, etc.) and getting feedback on their approaches to measuring the
energy consumption of such systems. They will be looking for practice
partners for workshops on the energy consumption of distributed systems
and extending the Blauer Engel criteria. The first of these workshops
will likely be at the end of March.

The work of Umwelt Campus Birkenfeld is crucial for the BE4FOSS project
and KDE Eco and we are honored to have them present their project to our
community!

Looking forward to seeing many of you on Wednesday!

Cheers,

Joseph

Notes from past meetups and Sprints can be found here:

https://invent.kde.org/joseph/be4foss/-/tree/master/community-meetups

--
KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!

Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @BE4FOSS at mastodon.social
Mailing list: