Git commit content

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Aug 28 12:17:10 BST 2022

Hi all,

Over the past couple of months we have had several incidents where people
have needed/attempted to push large text files into KDE Git repositories.

While this does not seem immediately problematic, it is something that
unfortunately the email sending components of our Git hooks are unable to
handle (likely due to them embedding commit diffs into the body of emails).

This results in them consuming an entire CPU core of the server until
Gitlab times out on them and kills them (failing the push/merge in the
process).

For the most part these have been programmatically generated data sources,
making the diffs of little use.

Where possible it is recommended not to commit these sort of artifacts to
KDE Git repositories, but where it is not avoidable please ensure that:
a) The data is not all on a single line (JSON pretty print where possible);
b) That the file has been flagged as binary data using .gitattributes

This should assist the email generating components of the hooks in more
easily handling the content.

Thanks,
Ben