New releases for bugfixes

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Aug 25 21:59:05 BST 2022

El dijous, 25 d’agost de 2022, a les 18:55:08 (CEST), Nate Graham va escriure:
> Hello everyone,
> Right now when we fix a significant bug in our software that may take a
> while to reach users to to the release schedule of its repo, we contact
> distros and ask them to backport it. This puts the burden on distros to
> react to us. I'm wondering how people feel about KDE instead making
> immediate point releases ourselves. Thus we would take responsibility
> for releasing fixes for our own regressions, and distros that monitor
> KDE infrastructure for new tarballs could be notified automatically.
>
> Thoughts?

In theory it makes sense but there's some issues that need working out.

a) Which version number to use if it's part of a (bigger release, Plasma,
Frameworks, Gear).

I guess the answer is to do x.y.z.k but we need to make sure all our tooling
supports that

b) Again, for repos that are part of a bigger release, this creates more work
on the (from what i can see) relatively overloaded release folks so we may
need to make sure this happens very seldom or recruit more releasers

c) Who decides which bugs "are important" because for every bug, there's
always a person out there that thinks it's the most important bug ever.

d) What do we release? i.e. imagine we find one of those "important bugs" in
dolphin and we have to release 22.08.0.1. Do we just release the 22.08 branch
with any changes it may have had since the 22.08.0 release or do we create a
special branch that only contains the new patch and release that?

Cheers,
  Albert