Loosening the commit limit for work branches

David Hurka david.hurka at mailbox.org
Wed Aug 24 20:13:16 BST 2022

On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 8:11:14 PM CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> The limitation is aligned with the maximum number of new commits you are
> allowed to introduce to a standard branch.
> We have those limits because the commit hooks carry out processing on a per
> commit basis for all new commits introduced to standard branches - and are
> there to protect all the other systems downstream from Gitlab.

Do I understand it correctly like this?

Standard branches have a merge hook.
The merge hook runs when commits are added to the branch.
(It is assumed that standard branches are not force pushed.)
The merge hook runs for every individual commit.
There is a limit that only 100 commits can be added at once,
to prevent system overloads caused by many merge hooks being ran at once.