The KIPI fate

o lu chaosentropy at outlook.com
Sat Apr 16 16:09:39 BST 2022

On 4/15/22 07:42, Harald Sitter wrote:

> Going off on a tangent:
> I think you are hitting on a very important point. No matter what
> happens with kipi here, we should add userfeedback support for
> features that we'd like to remove and get a sense of the users the
> removal impacts. Right now we have no metrics, so all we are left with
> is removing stuff and see how many people complain and possibly
> backpedaling after the fact. That is not ideal.
>
> HS

I used to be *completely* against telemetry of any sort until I saw an
article a couple of weeks ago that explained a use case in Firefox: they
were able to make a "heat map" of where users click in the toolbar to
see which buttons were being pressed and with what frequency.  So I
think that all KDE applications should have a (configurable and
inspectable) telemetry option to let developers know exactly which
features are being used and how much.  This would solve (at least in
part) the problem described above.