What is our plan for Qt6 and QXmlPatterns?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Oct 27 23:30:53 BST 2021

QXmlPatterns has been deprecated for a long time and the current plan is that there will no Qt6 release of it.

We use it in quite some places

https://lxr.kde.org/search?%21v=kf5-qt5&_filestring=CMakeLists.txt&_string=XmlPatterns

For those that don't want to click the link
	artikulate
	cantor
	digikam
	gcompris
	    Maybe not? https://invent.kde.org/education/gcompris/-/merge_requests/89
	kbibtex
	kdav
	kdav2
	kig
	ktouch
	rocs
	syntax-highlighting
	kdepim-runtime
	kipi-plugins
	massif-visualizer
	    Maybe not? https://invent.kde.org/sdk/massif-visualizer/-/merge_requests/3

It's not a whole lot of apps, but it's a considerable number.

The suggested solution by The Qt Project seems to be migrate to something like libxslt.

Has anyone have any experience with that?

Could we create some kind of wrapper so we would not have to port all those apps one by one?

Another potential solution is us "adopting" QtXmlPatterns and porting it to Qt6, the code is said to be a bit of a nightmare and basically unmaintainable, that's why The Qt Project doesn't want to have a Qt6 version, but given we don't have commitments like commercial support for our things, we could probably get away with a "we did this for ourselves, you should really not use it" statement.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,
  Albert